Student TB Testing
Get your students cleared to start classes faster with the
The T-SPOT.TB test is a single-draw, single-visit TB test that offers fast, reliable results even for BCG vaccinated students1.
The American College Health Association (ACHA) recommends testing foreign-born students with identifiable risk factors for exposure to tuberculosis (TB) and/or TB disease who enroll in the United States (U.S.) colleges and universities2. The number of incoming foreign-born students, many of whom are BCG vaccinated, has increased over 40% in the past 5 years3. This means the TB testing needs for colleges and universities like yours is also increasing.
With the traditional tuberculin skin test (TST) your international students must make multiple trips to student health, keeping your staff from day-to-day responsibilities and your international students out of class. There’s also the risk of cross-reaction with the BCG vaccination that can lead to false positives and referral for potentially costly chest x-rays and unnecessary treatment4. Fortunately, the T-SPOT.TB test offers a better choice for you and your students.
The T-SPOT.TB test allows you to complete your TB screening of your students in just one visit and may reduce the number of follow up chest x-rays, as it does not cross-react with the BCG vaccine. Whether managed through a SPOTLIGHT™ TB screening event or by your phlebotomist, ensure the efficiency of your TB testing process matches the reliability of the T-SPOT.TB test.
- Oxford Immunotec Ltd. T-SPOT.TB Package Insert PI-TB-US-V5. March 2015
- ACHA Guidelines: Tuberculosis Screening and Targeted Testing of College and University Students. April 2016.
- 1948-2015 | Enrollment Trends | International Students | Open Doors Data. http://www.iie.org/en/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data/International-Students/Enrollment-Trends/1948-2015. Accessed April 21, 2016.
- Huebner RE, Schein MF, Bass JB Jr. The tuberculin skin test. Clin Infect Dis. 1993;17(6):968-975
- T-SPOT is a registered trademark of Oxford Immunotec Ltd.
- SPOTLIGHT is a trademark of Oxford Immunotec Inc.